Saturday, July 31, 2010

Earthlings

Today I spent lots of time on the internet researching ways to look after the environment. I came across a movie called Earthlings and proceeded to watch the movie. Amongst other things the movie depicts the process of producing and slaughtering animals for food. To say that the movie is disturbing is an understatement and it is hard to watch so many of the scenes without crying. I am not sure if all of these processes are employed here in Australia - I would hope not but nonetheless I have come to the conclusion that eating meat is seriously wrong in so many ways. Firstly animals have as much right to live as we do, secondly because of the environmental impact and thirdly because of the processes used throughout the production of meat including the involvement of chemicals and the methods used to kill the animals. It's easy enough for us to walk into a supermarket and pick up a tray of chicken without thinking about how it got there. So hopefully I am planning to change my life for the better by becoming vegetarian. I know that this will take some work to change my diet and work with my hubby so that he is happy with our meals. I don't think I can go vegan at this stage but I already drink soy milk and buy organic, free range eggs so this is a good starting point for me. I would suggest that watching earthlings is very important for everyone if you feel like you can stomach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment